There’s always something happening at the Litchfield Museum
& Route 66 Welcome Center!
From personal guided tours to local artifacts and the Mother Road nostalgia, the Museum offers a fun-filled walk down memory lane. Learn about the past, present, and future of Litchfield through our ongoing and special exhibitions.
Exhibit highlights include:
- Bob Waldmire maps and drawings
- Original Route 66 road sign
- Antique automobile
- Exhibit of businesses along this area of the “Mother Road”
- History of the schools of Litchfield
- Litchfield Fire Department’s hand-drawn fire wagon
- 1904 cornerstone and time capsule from the American Radiator Company
- Comprehensive section on area veterans
- History of area industry, including Brown Shoe & Litchfield Creamery
- Litchfield Mill (aka the Planet Mill), the largest steam mill in the world
- History of local government, churches, homes, organizations, and businesses
- Home of The Montgomery County Genealogical Society
…and so much more!
April – October: Monday thru Saturday 10 am – 4 pm & Sunday 1 pm – 4 pm
November – March: Tuesday thru Saturday 10 am – 4 pm
Closed: New Year’s Day, Easter, Memorial Day, July 4, Labor Day, Veterans’ Day,
Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year’s Eve
Admission is free!
However, we do have a donation box and appreciate any amount you would care to leave. The Litchfield Museum & Route 66 Welcome Center Association is a 501c(3) non-for-profit organization. There are no paid employees. The museum is run strictly by volunteers. If you would like to make a donation, or help in some other way, visit our Support Page.
Directions and Parking
1. From Interstate 55, at Exit 52 take the ramp for IL-16 east toward Litchfield
2. Keep straight on IL-16
3. Continue on IL-16/W Union Avenue
4. Turn right on North Historic Old Route 66
5. Destination will be on the left. There is ample free parking at the museum.
GPS Address: 334 North Historic Route 66, Litchfield, IL 62056
Mailing Address: P O Box 43, Litchfield, IL 62056-0043
or use our Contact Page